Monday, May 9, 2011

Romans 15 - Strength and Service

Chapter 15 starts right out in my face. From the Message: "Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, "How can I help?"" I believe God has equipped me to be able to help other people in many different ways. But how many days do I want to scream "I don't have time or desire to that right now! It's not convenient for me! Go away!" (I'm just being honest here). I dare say it is quite often. I need to be praying for God to continue to soften my heart and to step in not only out of duty, but always out of LOVE. Yes, we absolutely have to and need to at times say "no" to some opportunities to help, but many times I want to say no just because I want to be selfish, not because I don't have time.

V 4 hit me today as well. I have heard people comment that the Bible is old, that is was written for a different time and culture, that it simply cannot apply to our lives today, too much has changed in the world. This verse says the exact opposite. MSG: "Even if it was written in Scripture long ago, you can be sure it's written for US" (emphasis theirs). NIV: "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope". Think...they were referring to the Old Testament scriptures that were written as many as 1400 years before this time. Paul probably wrote those words to answer people who were saying the OT was written for a different time and culture! God's Word never changes. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment