Friday, May 13, 2011

James Ch 3 - Taming the Tongue

This chapter is so in my face like all others that it almost brings me down instead of feeling lifted up...but it is teaching and I know God uses his words to convict us of our sin.

I honestly don't remember a day in my life that my mouth wasn't a problem for me. As a child I was called "Mouth of the South" by loving teachers for talking so much and so loud. I always got a "minus" on my report card for that part. I always wanted to be shy and quiet, but God didn't make me that way. The challenge is taking how he made me and using it for his good!

V1 is a kick in the booty. "Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." Funny how I chose that as my career. I pray if God has me enter the classroom again that I have my act more together than I did the last time I was there. But I know this also applies to teaching at church - being an example to the little or big ones that I am teaching.

V 8-10 "but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be". I need to pray every morning that I will allow God to use my tongue for good and that I would not allow my sinful self to use it for evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment