Friday, May 13, 2011

Moving On...James Ch 1

I could underline every verse in this Chapter and talk about it. James is so full of wisdom. V 2-4, "Consider it pure joy my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything", mirror my life verses, Romans 5:3-5 "Suffering produces perseverance, perseverance character, and character hope..." and they were written by two different men. Amazing.

V 5-6 are particularly timely for me today. "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt..." If I am given a choice betwden two jobs, I will need real wisdom to choose. So first I am praying I wont be given a choice, but if I am, this convicts me that I cannot doubt God will give me wisdom to make the right decision.

V 22-24... "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like." Do what it says! Pretty plain and simple there. Finally v 26..."If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless." I have been doing better about keeping my mouth shut, but this is telling me I can totally cancel out what I try to show to others as a Christian just by opening my mouth. Scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment